Blocked drains can be hugely problematic for homeowners in Oxford. Not only are they inconveniences but they can also lead to numerous issues like unpleasant smells, overflowing water, and in worst-case scenarios, structural damage to the property. To help you avoid these problems, we have compiled a comprehensive list of trusted tips to prevent blocked drains in Oxford homes.
1. Sieve the unwanted: The blocked drains oxford simplest way to prevent blocked drains is by not letting the waste go down the drain. By adding a strainer or sieve to your sinks, showers, and bathtubs, you can ensure that gelatinous materials including food waste, hair, and soap bits won’t reach your pipes. Clear these drains regularly to stay on top of this.
2. Be careful with what you flush: The toilet can often be misused by being turned into a ‘catch-all’ disposal unit, which is never a good idea. Avoid flushing anything other than toilet tissue. Items like wet wipes, diapers, cotton balls, and other non-dissolvable items should be disposed of properly in a bin. Even items that are branded as ‘flushable’ can eventually contribute to blockages.
3. Dispose of Grease, Fat, and Oil Properly: These substances are one of the biggest causes of blocked drains. When they cool down, they solidify and cling to the pipe walls, causing accumulations that clog the drains. Instead of pouring them down the sink, put them in a separate container or can, let them cool and solidify, then dispose of them with your regular household waste.
4. Use a Plunger: For minor blockages, you can use a plunger before they escalate to a larger issue. Ensure that there’s enough water in the sink to immerse the bottom of the plunger. Cover the sink overflow with a cloth, apply petroleum jelly on the rim, and use a pumping motion to clear the obstruction.
5. Rinse your drains: Regularly rinse your drains with hot water as it helps in dislodging sticky and oily substances from the wall of the pipes. You can also pour a cup of vinegar or baking soda followed by hot water. These substances are excellent at dissolving grime and fat that could cause blockages.
6. Remove and clean your pipe: Occasionally, it can be beneficial to remove the curved piece underneath your sink, known as the P-Trap, and clean it out thoroughly to remove any collected gunk and debris. Ensure you place a bucket beneath it before removal.
7. Seek Professional Help: If you find that your drains are constantly blocked or when you are in doubt, don’t hesitate to seek professional help. Plumbers in Oxford have the required expertise and equipment to clear your blocked drain quickly, efficiently, and effectively. Regular professional cleaning can also prevent miniscule problems from turning into significant issues.
8. Invest in drain guards: Drain guards act as a physical barrier, catching the larger items before they make their way into your pipe works. They’re straightforward utilities that can make a world of difference.
9. Tree Maintenance: Trees and plants can cause huge problems. Roots may intrude sewer lines causing significant blockages. Regularly monitor and trim roots of bigger trees near drainage pipes.
10. Practice Good Maintenance: Ultimately, proper maintenance and good habits are the keys to maintaining clear and free-flowing drains. Educate everyone in the household about proper waste disposal practices.
In conclusion, having blocked drains in Oxford’s homes can be extremely troublesome, time-consuming, and can, over time, prove quite costly to solve if not addressed promptly. Adapting to good practices and preventative measures will not only keep your drains running freely but could also save you from hefty plumbing bills.